Wednesday, September 29, 2010

First Day of School

Working on their Creation Books


Their Sun badges to help them remember that...


Working on an a letter S activity

Our first day of homeschool was mostly a success! I'm very happy with how things went and pray that things will continue to go as well as they did today. Our only hang-up occurred during handwriting. The letter we were learning about all day was the letter S, and that is the letter that Madison has the most difficulty with writing. She know how to write it; she does not know how to write it within the lines you see on handwriting paper. That is where the frustration came in. I really don't know how important it is for them to learn how to write the letters within those lines? She can write an S, and it looks like an S...so is it absolutely necessary that we painstakingly work with great amounts of frustration, to make sure that the top of the S touches the top line, the middle of the S crosses the middle line, and the bottom of the S touches the bottom line? Because I'm beginning to think that it isn't worth the frustration on her part. I'm afraid that she is going to start not liking writing if we continue on being so particular. And writing is something that she has always loved to do.

Other than that, like I said, it was a successful day. Noah even did really well for most of it too. He participated along with us for many of the activities, but he also got toys out and played with as well. During his nap, Madison and I worked on a few more things so it was nice not having the distraction that Noah tends to bring. :-)

So on to planning tomorrow's lessons!

No comments: