Wednesday, September 29, 2010

U: Part Two

We started the unit on "Us" last Friday, and we just finished it up today. We've been talking about our 5 senses all week and you can catch the post on the first 3 senses we worked on here.

Yesterday we worked on the "sight" sense and I'm not going to lie - we had a rough day in school. We started and stopped our school day 3 times, and after we finally got going, I spent more time dealing with meltdowns, tantrums, time-outs, and bad attitudes, than I did actual teaching. We managed to accomplish a little schoolwork (emphasis on little), but needless to say, I didn't get any pictures from our lesson on sight. We did do one sight activity where I collected 10 items and allowed the kids to look at them and try to memorize them. And then they had to close their eyes and turn around while I took one item away. They had to try guess which item was missing. It proved to be quite difficult for them, but I'm not sure if it was because it was actually difficult for them, or because of the attitudes we were dealing with. We did the activity a few times, but I could just tell that the enthusiasm wasn't there. So after trudging our way through a little more schoolwork, I just decided to call it a day.

So anyway, today was a new day. Before we began our school day, the kids and I talked and we all agreed that we wanted to have a good day at school, with good attitudes. And so we began. And it went MUCH better! Thank the Lord!

We worked on our "taste" sense today and with that, had a lesson on the Food Groups. I found a number of great printable worksheets on http://www.nourishinteractive.com/hco/free_printables#food_pyramid.

We went through The Food Pyramid and discussed what all the groups consisted of.


Then we built our own food pyramid using toy food. Madison and Noah had to tell me which food group each item went into, then we put them altogether into a pyramid shape.


(Worksheets from http://www.tlsbooks.com/kindergartenworksheets.htm)

(Worksheet from http://www.nourishinteractive.com/hco/free_printables#food_pyramid)


We actually have a nice, warm day today, so after lunch we went out and used a few of our senses playing in the great outdoors.

And that concludes the lesson on "Us".

No comments: