Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cow-abunga!

Lesson 13 teaches about the letter C and cows. We read the verses from 1 Peter 2:2-3, which says,

"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

Just like milk helps us grow to be strong and healthy individuals, we remember that "God's Word helps me grow".

I'm actually still waiting on a few books from our library to use for this lesson, and I should be able to pick those up tomorrow. We were able, however, to do a few activities today to get a start on the lesson.

During math time, we played a dice game where the kids rolled the dice, counted how many dots there were, then either placed the correct number of pom-poms on the cow (what Noah decided to do), or colored in the correct number of circles (what Madison decided to do).


(cow math sheet from www.makinglearningfun.com)

We made these cute cow masks for an art project. If I were to make a suggestion to others who would be interested in making these, it would be to either glue the pieces onto cardboard, or laminate the masks. Using just construction paper like the directions said, we found that they are pretty flimsy and don't want to stand up straight. The top of the cow keeps wanting to flip over. I even tried gluing sticks to the back side of them hoping that would help, but it really didn't. They are cute to look at, but to be honest, I just don't see them withstanding my children's imaginative play for very long!
(cow mask idea from www. makinglearningfun.com)

To go along with our letter "C" theme, we read "The Mixed-Up Chameleon" by Eric Carle. This book taught a great lesson in being thankful for how God made us, and how we shouldn't always be wishing that we could be like someone else. After talking quite a bit about that lesson, we made our foam lowercase "c" into a chameleon.
(idea from http://totallytots.blogspot.com/2010/06/now-i-know-my-abcs-c-is-for-chameleon.html)

For our snack, after reading "The Mixed-Up Chameleon", we picked out 3 flavors of yogurt (which also happens to go along with the cow/milk/dairy theme!), then we mixed them up.
(I came across this idea online somewhere, but now I can't seem to find the site! My apologies!)

For science time, we read the book "Cows Have Calves" by Lynn Stone, which gave us some information about dairy calves. We also plan on doing a science project this evening after Daddy gets home from work, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what that is!

No comments: