Friday, October 22, 2010

G: Goats, Gumpy, and Goose

We just finished up week #8 in homeschooling, and along with that, we just finished up Lesson 12 in the "My Father's World" curriculum we are using. That means we are nearly halfway through our book. I'm not sure what our plan is once we finish the book, because I can pretty much guarantee that we'll be done with it long before the end of the school year! But I guess I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.

Anyway, Lesson 12 dealt with the letter G, goats, and other farm-related topics. We started off by talking about how back in Old Testaments times, people used goats (as well as other animals) as sacrifices when they sinned. We also talked about how we no longer need to sacrifice animals because Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. Our words to remember for this lesson were "Jesus died for my sins".

We made goat badges with those words on them.

One of the books we read was "Mr. Gumpy's Outing" by John Burningham. It is a story about Mr. Gumpy and how he has an eventful boat ride with children, a rabbit, a cat, a dog, a pig, a sheep, some chickens, a calf, and a goat.

While we read the story, we acted it out using some toys as the characters.

We also read "G is for Goat" by Patricia Polacco and "Goats on the Farm" by Mari C. Schuh. Both provided information about goats in a fun, easy-to-understand manner.

Another book we read was "Duck & Goose" by Tad Hills, and we made our foam lowercase "g" into a goose.
(idea from http://totallytots.blogspot.com/2010/07/now-i-know-my-abcs-g-is-for-goose.html)



I'm going to do a separate blog post about the other farm-related activities and lessons that we did. They didn't start with the letter "G" though, so I decided not to include them in this post. :-)

No comments: